My Gran’s Sorrel Chicken Soup
My Grandmother was a wonderful cook. Everything she made she learnt from her Mother growing up in Lithuania.
She never used a recipe everything just seemed to flow from her heart and finger tips in perfect balance of nutrition flavor and love. We would pick Sorrel from the garden, you must get some if you have never tried it, it’s sharply acidic flavor is like eating the love child of spinach and lemon.
This is my version of her soup Ive tweaked it a little but I think she would have approved, eating it always makes me feel happy especially in chilly winter. Hope you enjoy it too.
- 2 Litres of good quality chicken Bone Broth, with the fat skimmed from the top
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 minced Organic chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons dill leaf tips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large bunch of sorrel washed well and shredded (it will be about 3 cups)
- 4 hard boiled eggs chopped
- Boil the stock and season to taste
- Mix salt dill and chicken mince well, roll into little meatballs
- Reduce the stock to a simmer and drop in the chicken balls
- Boil till cooked this should only take a few minutes, cut one open if you are unsure
- When the chicken is cooked throw all of the sorrel into the pot
- Serve with chopped hard boiled eggs, I have also garnished with micro herbs.