Paleo Healthy Coconut Granola
One of the things my patients often talk about when we are cleaning up their diets, is lack of a quick healthy breakfast. Cereal from a box is oh so easy, but not so good for you. Let’s face it, cereal is just a sugary dessert in a box with often less nutrition in it than the cardboard it comes in!
Trouble is we don’t always have time to cook up eggs etc. A nice big handful of this gives a great protein, fibre and good fat hit at the start of the day, keeping blood sugar balanced, and it tastes great!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1.5 cups sunflower seeds
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup coconut flour
- Melt the coconut oil and rice malt over a low heat
- Roughly crush the nuts and seeds in your blender
- Add everything together in a big bowl, til the wet ingredients are well combined with the dry. Just mash it all up, it’s similar to kneading dough, messy and lots of fun!
- Once well combined lay it all out flat on a tray lined with baking paper. You want it no more than about 1.5cm thick
- Bake for 1o minutes on a 180degree heat, take it out toss it around in the pan, and bake for another 10-15 minutes till golden brown
- Let cool, store in an airtight container for up to a month if it lasts that long….
- We have ours with almond milk, or sprinkled over the top of stewed fruit to make a delicious deconstructed crumble.